Front door makeover

4.11.2011

When we moved into this house 6 months ago, I decided I wanted a rustic wooden front door.  I just love the way they look.  The original front door is fiberglass and painted a really unattractive Hershey brown.  But when Big C and I looked at new doors at Depot and Lowe's, the ones I liked were $2000 plus... So, we decided to look for an alternative.

We discovered gel stain by Minwax for painting fiberglass doors.  Both of us were skeptical but willing to try to save major money.  It was pretty easy and I love the way it turned out..

The process:  prime plus 2 coats of Minwax "Aged Oak".  And here you go..starting with the yucky Hershey bar door:


Now primed..


And introducing my new rustic door!




I'm thrilled with how it turned out!


I am linking to:
TheDIYShowoff

5 comments:

  1. Wow, it came out so gorgeous!!! Wanna come on over and help with my doors??? I'll cook =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing! It looks great!
    PS: Thanks for stopping by my blog today and for your very kind comment....I hope you do that kitchen painting, I would love to see a pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks fantastic! So talented to 1)make it look that good and 2)keep little fingers out of the stain!

    ReplyDelete